The idea to establish a monument to the Russian writer and diplomat A.S. Griboyedov was born back in 1936. The sculpture was cast in 1949 but for a long time a place for it could not be chosen. In 1956 it was decided to install a monument on the former Semenovskiy parade ground, now Pionerskaya Square, in front of the new building of the Young Spectator Theater under construction.
The opening of the monument took place in 1959 and was timed to coincide with the 130th anniversary of the death of Griboyedov. The sitting figure with a book in hands is placed on a pedestal in the form of a hexagon. The name of the writer is stamped on the pedestal with gilded letters.