The sculpture "The Carpenter Tsar" is a copy of the monument to Peter the Great installed at the Admiralty embankment in 1910 and later it was lost. Young Peter was captured during training in shipboard business in the Dutch city of Zaandam (Saardame).
The first monument created by the sculptor L.A. Bernshtam was opened on June 27, 1910. In 1911, Russia presented a copy of it to the city of Zaandam, and the original was sent for melting after the revolution.
The present statue of the Tsar-carpenter was received as a gift from the Government of the Netherlands in 1996. This is an exact copy of the statue, established in Zaandam. On September 7, 1996, the second opening of the monument took place at its historical site. Prince Willem-Alexander Oranskiy took part in the ceremony.