Built in the late 15th century on the slope of a granite cliff, the 35-meter tall tower with walls 1.6 meters thick at the base once was the belfry of the local Old Cathedral. A clock in the tower was first installed in 1660. In the 18th century, Catherine II presented the tower with the still surviving grand bell.
After suffering a number of fires, it itself was eventually converted into a fire tower in 1793.
Unlike the tower whose bell and clock still exist and function, the Old Cathedral was destroyed in 1939 during the Soviet/Finnish War.